Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hot Chocolate Cookies


I have a few Christmas cookie magazines that I purchased a few years back. There are so many recipes in them that I like to look through them each Christmas to find new recipes that I want to try, since there's no way I could try all the recipes in one Christmas! This year, a recipe for hot chocolate cookies caught my eye. The picture looked so delicious! I love hot chocolate and I love cookies, so I knew this one had potential. And boy did it! I made a half batch and I managed to eat most of the cookies all on my own! I did save a few to give to my mom and to a friend, which is good because I have lots of other cookies around my apartment! These cookies stay nice and soft and are so delicious : )

Here's the recipe:
(Half-batch and slightly adapted from Land O'Lakes Recipe Collection: Holiday Cookies, 2007)

For the cookie:
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk (I used coconut milk because that's all I had)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup instant milk chocolate hot cocoa mix (I used Starbucks Salted Caramel hot chocolate mix)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

mini marshmallows (4 for each cookie)

For the glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat at medium speed, scraping the bowl often, until creamy. Add the egg, milk and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour, cocoa mix and baking soda, beating until well mixed.

Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8-9 minutes or until set, Remove from the oven and top each cookie with 4 mini marshmallows. Continue baking for 1-2 minutes until marshmallows just begin to puff. Immediately remove from oven and put cookies on cooling racks and cool completely.

Make the glaze by combining the butter, milk and cocoa in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes. Pour in the powdered sugar and whisk together until creamy. Spoon glaze over the cooled cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment