Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chicken Salad with Green Apple & Pecans


There's this restaurant I've gone to down the shore (that's New Jersey speak for "at the beach") that has the best chicken salad. They have so many different kinds- with grapes, with apples, with cinnamon, with raisins....I order it every time I go there. I had always wanted to make my own chicken salad, but had never gotten around to it. Since I don't live close to this restaurant, I wanted to try to create my own that tasted just as (or almost) as good as theirs. I stumbled upon this recipe at The Novice Chef blog, but I don't like cherries, so I decided to modify the recipe a bit. I love the slightly sweet flavor the apple brings to the salad! I've made this chicken salad a few times, and it's really good and pretty healthy! My only issue, and it's not with the recipe, is that I seem to have a problem cooking the chicken breast so that it's not overdone. I just put them in a baking dish sprinkled with salt and pepper and baked them in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, but they seemed a little dry. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make this again and cook the chicken a different way! Maybe on my george foreman grill?

Here's my recipe:
(modified from The Novice Chef who modified it from Gourmet, 2003)

2 cups of cubed cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 rib diced celery
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 medium green apple, chopped (I used a Mutsu apple)
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup fat free greek yogurt
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt and white wine vinegar. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Adjust seasonings as needed. I refrigerate it for a few hours and then eat it on whole wheat bread, but sourdough or a tortilla wrap would also taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment