Friday, December 17, 2010

Coconut Macaroons


I've made these coconut macaroons a few times over the years. They are so easy to make- it's only 5 ingredients! I made these with my sister over our baking weekend and my sister loved them so much that she's already made them again twice!

Here she is making them the first time:


The cookies tend to spread a little bit during baking and the edges get a little crispy- I just break those parts off and then the cookies look perfect! I brought a few of these cookies to work and my co-worker loved them so much she put a status up on Facebook about them. These cookies are sure to be a hit. The recipe, from a Martha Stewart cookbook that I've had for years, says that it is essential to use unsweetened coconut, which you can get in health-food stores. I used regular sweetened coconut from the grocery store and the cookies were delicious- I like things sweet though, so I didn't mind any extra sweetness!

Here's the recipe:
(Slightly modified from The Best of Martha Stewart Living: Desserts: Our Favorite Recipes for Every Season and Every Occasion, 1998)

3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (I used sweetened shredded coconut)
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt.

Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spray it with cooking spray or use a Silpat sheet. In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla and salt. Use your hands to mix well and completely combine the ingredients. Dampen your hands with cold water. Form 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into a loose haystack and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, spacing the cookies about 1 inch apart. Bake the cookies in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Macaroons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment