Monday, November 22, 2010

Margherita Pizza



Who doesn't love Margherita Pizza? I know I do- it's 1 of my favorites! It's so easy to make, but I figured I'd post  my own spin on it.

Recipe:

1 lb. ball of pizza dough (homemade or purchased from a pizza restaurant)
approx. 8 oz. of fresh mozzarella
1/2 cup of pizza sauce (I used the basic pizza sauce from Recipegirl)
Fresh basil (as much as you like) (or, I use the frozen cubes from Dorot and I grate it over the pie with my microplane grater)

Stretch out your pizza dough (or roll out in my case, I am still not very good @ stretching out pizza dough). I roll mine out on a cutting board and then transfer to a cookie sheet or pizza stone. I know you're not supposed to put your pizza stone in a hot oven, but I haven't figured out how to use a pizza peel to transfer my pizza from the cutting board to the stone already in the oven, so I just get it ready on the pizza stone and put it in the preheated oven and (luckily- knock on wood) my pizza stone has held up so far! Spread pizza sauce over the dough, leaving about a half inch border around. Drizzle with some olive oil and bake in a 500 degree oven until the crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes in my oven. Take out of the oven and sprinkle about 8 oz diced fresh mozzarella over the surface. Sprinkle or grate basil  over the cheese and sprinkle some salt over as well. Put back in the oven and bake for about another 5 minutes, until the mozzarella is melted. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment