Sunday, May 29, 2011

Coconut-Mango Rice Pudding


When I saw this recipe for coconut rice pudding, I had to make it immediately. That night. After a long day of work. I've always liked rice pudding but only made it once before. I looked at the recipe and saw that with a few alterations, I had all the ingredients at home and wouldn't have to run to the grocery store. The recipe called for forbidden black rice, which in the picture, looked a little scary. I decided I could substitute good old jasmine rice. The recipe also called for kiwi, which I don't really like and didn't have in my refrigerator, so I left that out. This pudding was delicious warm and chilled in the refrigerator!


Here's the recipe:
(Slightly changed; original recipe from Whole Foods Market).

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cups uncooked jasmine rice
1 14 oz. can regular or light coconut milk (I used light coconut milk from Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup chopped mango (I used frozen mango from Whole Foods and chopped it into smaller pieces)
Unsweetened shredded coconut

Put water and rice into a medium pot, cover with lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until all of the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Uncover and stir in coconut milk and sugar. Bring pot back to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes more. Stir in chopped mango. Top with unsweetened shredded coconut.


Enjoy!


1 comment: