Sunday, March 27, 2011

BAKED Sunday Mornings: Malted Crisp Tart


Hi everyone! I can't believe that I had to miss the last two recipes in Baked Sunday Mornings. With all the reviews I read of the recipe for Salt-n-Pepper Sandwich cookies, I definitely want to make those soon! I was so glad I was able to bake the tart for this morning's recipe. I made it a few days ago after work, and even though there are many steps, it really didn't take that long. The tart dough came together easily in the food processor. The caramelized rice krispies were easy to make and tasted delicious on their own. The chocolate ganache also came together easily and even the malted pastry cream wasn't too many steps. This is definitely a recipe that requires a lot of bowls, measuring cups and spoons. The recipe called for malted powder, which I wasn't sure where to find. I went to my local supermarket and asked someone there if they had malted milk powder and they didn't have any in the baking aisle. I was told to go look in the coffee aisle where the Ovaltine is. I bought regular malted Ovaltine powder and that seemed to be the right thing for this recipe. I know malted milk powder can be purchased online, but I didn't plan ahead enough for that.



After you make the tart dough and press it into the tart pan, it gets put in the freezer while the oven heats up. Once the tart dough is baked and cooled, you spread the chocolate malted ganache over the top and then press in the caramelized rice krispies and some crushed Whoppers.


The whole tart then goes into the refrigerator while the pastry cream is made. After the pastry cream is made and cooled in the refrigerator, you spread that on top of the tart and then top it with more caramelized rice krispies and broken Whoppers.



I think the tart looked really pretty once it was done! I had a lot of difficulty cutting the tart, so I think that I made my tart dough too thick (which the recipe warns against...) and I thought this tart was really sweet. I brought it to work for my co-workers and they loved it, so I think it's all just a matter of taste.  My favorite part of this tart was probably the caramelized rice krispies!

To read how everyone else made out with this recipe and to find the recipe, head on over to Baked Sunday Mornings.

5 comments:

  1. Your description sums it up - what a great tart to make - it's now a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a giant sweet tooth (so I could eat a whole tart), and the crust was sturdy but matched the other layers well...and all these layers need a sturdy crust. And you are right it is really pretty ... and yes, the caramelized krispies are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, for some reason (at least for me) your photos on this post aren't showing. I can see photos in your other posts, so I am not sure why this is happening. I'll check back later because I can't wait to see how your tart turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The caramelized rice krispies are my favourite part too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tart looks so pretty! I like the contrast of the lighter rice krispies to the whole malt balls. After my tart chilled for awhile I also had a difficult time cutting it so my crust was probably a little too thick, but it tasted great anyway.

    ReplyDelete