Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bad Boy Chocolate Pizza


Wow, another post just after I posted those cookies yesterday? I've had some extra time to do some baking since my work closed today due to an ice storm and I left work early yesterday because the roads were so bad. I've always loved the idea of a chocolate pizza, but had never made one before. This recipe is from Max Brenner's cookbook, Chocolate: A Love Story. Have you ever been to Max Brenner's before? There's one in NYC and in Philadelphia. Last year I went to see the Rockefeller Christmas tree with my friends and we stopped at Bryant Park where they have all these shops during the holiday season. There, they had a Max Brenner stand and we all got his Italian drinking chocolate. It was seriously the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted! I dreamt about that hot chocolate! Then, this fall, my friend and I went to the city and went to his restaurant for lunch, where they serve french fries dusted with cocoa! The food was good and while I was so tempted to order dessert, as everything on the menu sounded delicious, my friend and I were heading to a few other places for sweets, so I passed. I'dhad this cookbook for awhile but hadn't made many recipes from it yet. I want to try a lot of recipes from this book but today I chose to make this dessert pizza.

The recipe includes a recipe for pizza dough or you can also use store bought pizza dough. I made the recipe included for the pizza dough but I don't know if I'd use it again. I followed the recipe exactly but the dough didn't exactly come together very well- it was very crumbly and I had to add extra water when kneading. It rose well for me, but I think I like my usual pizza dough recipe better. I also added some peanut butter m&ms and some leftover coconut from yesterday's cookie recipe. I loved all the different chocolates in this recipe!

Here's the recipe:
(From Max Brenner's Chocolate: A Love Story)

Pizza Dough:

1/2 cup water
1 envelope dry yeast
2 cups flour, plus more for kneading
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for bowl

Heat the water to 110 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix the warm water and yeast. Let stand until the yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes. In a food processor, blend the flour and salt. With the machine running, slowly add the melted butter and then the yeast mixture. Mix until the dough just comes together.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough, adding more flour if necessary, until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the dough to a large buttered bowl, turning ocne so the butter coats the dough. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and form into a ball. The dough can be used immediately or stored airtight in the refrigerator for 1 day.

Chocolate Pizza recipe:

Pizza dough (above recipe, or 1 pound store-bought pizza dough)
2 tsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup nutella
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 ounce milk chocolate chips
1/2 ounce white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped large marshmallows or miniature marshmallows
(I also added coconut and peanut butter m&ms)

Position a rack on the bottom of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Roll the dough into a 9-inch round. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Using your fingers, make indentations all over the dough. Brush with the melted butter. Bake until the crust is crisp and pale golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Immediately spread the nutella over the pizza, then sprinkle with the chocolate chips, marshmallows (and any other chocolate candy you want to add). Bake until the chocolate just begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Cut the pizza into wedges and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment